Inspirational Confidence Story - Abraham LinIncoln
by Catherine Pratt
Did you know that Abraham Lincoln had two business ventures fail, lost 8 different elections and had a complete nervous breakdown before becoming president in 1816? His story is a great inspirational confidence story in that he shows how if you just keep moving towards your dream, you will eventually make it.
Abraham Lincoln overcame great setbacks and obstacles on his journey. Take a look at the synopsis of his life and see whether you would have had the courage to continue on.
1809 Born February 12
1816 Abraham Lincoln's family was forced out of their home and he needed to work to support his family.
1818 His mother passed away
1828 His sister dies
1831 A business venture failed
1832 He ran for the State Legislature. He lost.
1832 In the same year, he also lost his job. He decided he wanted to go to law school but couldn't get in.
1833 He borrowed money from a friend to start a business. By the end of the year, he was bankrupt.
1834 He ran for the State Legislature again. This time he won.
1835 The year was looking better as he was engaged to be married. Unfortunately, his fiancee died and he was grief stricken.
1836 This was the year he had a total nervous breakdown and for 6 months was bedridden.
1836 He sought to become Speaker of the State Legislature. He was defeated.
1840 He sought to become Elector. He was defeated.
1842 Marries Mary Todd. They have 4 boys but only one would live to maturity.
1843 He ran for Congress. He lost.
1846 He ran for Congress again. He won and moved to Washington.
1848 He ran for re-election to Congress. He lost.
1849 He sought the job of Land Officer in his home state. He didn't get the job.
1850 His son, Edward, dies.
1854 He ran for the Senate of the United states. He lost.
1856 He sought the Vice Presidential nomination at a national convention. He got less than 100 votes.
1858 He ran for the Senate again. He lost again.
1860 Abraham Lincoln is elected President of the United States
1862 His son, Willie, dies at age 12.
1865 On April 14, Abraham Lincoln is assassinated.
Want to read some more information on Abraham Lincoln? Use the Google Search box below:
More Quick Inspirational Life Stories
• Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team.
• Beethoven's music teacher told him he was a hopeless composer.
• Charles Babbage invented the computer in 1837. He was unable to get funding for his device so it never caught on during his lifetime. It wasn't until 1943, long after Baggage's death, that computers really started to take off. How different would the world be today if Babbage had succeeded in popularizing the computer in his day?
• Colonel Sanders (creator of Kentucky Fried Chicken) was told "No" by over a thousand restaurants for more than a year while he lived in his car trying to sell his chicken recipe.
• Walt Disney was turned down by over a hundred banks when he tried to get funding to develop Disneyland.
See more inspirational stories
Back to top of "Inspirational Confidence Story - Abraham Lincoln"
Back to "Confident Thinking"